At no cost to the family, Foothill Unity Center served 4100 low-income families representing 7600 individuals from neighboring Altadena, Arcadia, Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bradbury, Duarte, Irwindale, Monrovia, Pasadena, Sierra Madre, and South Pasadena.
• Provided a total of 47,997 client services that included food, health, & social services
• Delivered 626 food boxes to Homebound seniors and disabled individuals who are sick and/or shut-in
• Issued 4,558 bagged meals to Homeless men, women and children
• Registered 820 families to receive bountiful Thanksgiving dinner food boxes and registered 1,084 families at Holiday to receive food to make a festive meal; distributed new toys, clothing, and much more for 1332 children
• Registered 1093 children for Back-to-School to access uniforms/clothing, backpacks, haircuts & health screenings
• Provided 182 tote bags with baby supplies and diapers
• Issued 6,592 Bus Tokens/Taxi Vouchers/Foothill Transits to remove transportation barriers
• Connected 1,816 people to additional services in their areas through the Information and Referral program
• Provided 217 services that helped individuals and families experiencing housing crises, such as eviction prevention, assistance with move-in or utilities, becoming housing-ready, securing temporary or permanent housing.
• Provided 4,277 case management services to help guide individuals out of poverty towards good health and economic security.
• Registered 533 Dental and 275 Vision Screenings for children at Back-to-School
• Partnered with USC’s Ostrow School of Dentistry to provide comprehensive dental treatment and education for
94 patients through the Pediatric Mobile Dental Clinic, completing 1798 dental procedures valued at $135,315.
• Partnered with Western University, Lions Club and Tzu Chi Medical Foundation to provide Eye Exams, Glasses, and Eyeglass Vouchers for 1170 adults and children, and 1246 dental services for adults through mobile dental clinics at the Center.
• Coordinated care for 1346 health needs for the homeless & uninsured through Medical Outreach and Referrals
• Increased health accessibility by providing 29 Free Flu Vaccines; 694 Glucose/Diabetes Screenings and
794 Blood Pressure Screenings
• Provided 4,482 services that contribute to health and nutrition education, including classes, exercise groups, cooking/recipe fliers, and more
• Provided 10,560 health services for adults and children that included exams, screenings, referrals, and more
Volunteers, Staff and Interns/Work Experience
• The Center’s staff consisted of only 22 full and part-time employees and 2 AmeriCorps’ Duarte’s Promise Fellows
• Dedicated volunteers, trainees and interns execute much of the hands-on activity required to run the Center’s service delivery — and essentially provide the capacity to meet the basic needs of the community
• 7,244 volunteers, ranging in age from 3 to 93, from neighboring schools, faith-based organizations, businesses, service & government groups contributed 40,589 hours of their time, energy, respect, and love
• Work-experience programs increased the Center’s capacity with 14,845 job development hours from youth, adults, seniors, and disabled adults
• Continued as a community training site for 20 nursing students pursuing licenses; enriched field training for 4 social work, 1 human services, and 2 public health interns
• Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program prepared 219 individual federal and state returns that generated $289,947 back into communities. The Center assisted with 290 Health Insurance enrollments.
• Distributed 1,262 pet food bags to help clients feed their cats and dogs, through the volunteer run Pet Food Bank.
• Connected 29 households with Free Lifeline cell phones through outreach at weekly food distributions
• Maintained and enhanced Food and Nonfood Donor Relationships with over 100 vendors
A Community Effort
As the Community Action Agency for the Foothill Area, we are spokespeople for the hidden poor, the very low-income, and the working poor. We serve low-income families with love and dignity … all of the time!